Monday, December 6, 2010

My Chemical Messiah

My Chemical Romance, Roseland Ballroom, New York City, December 3
I took my daughter to see her favorite band in their hometown (they are really from Jersey) on the heels of their excellent new album debuting in the top 10. It was pretty unique experience for me and I've time on my hands today, so I offer the following account.

The hall is in the heart of the theater district and it's advertised capacity is 3000 in general admission with no seating. It was sold out well in advance so I foolishly purchased from a broker for a premium. I was foolish because there was no security at the door and I never took my overpriced ticket out of my pocket.

We stood in a tightly packed scrum through the first two acts that were both very pedestrian. The crowd ranged in age from 10 to 47. First act was Fifteen Farthings (or something like that), and were a boring guitar and synth alternative New Jersey band. Gaslight Anthem was next, also from New Jersey. They sounded to my old ears like Tom Petty from New Jersey. Guitar songs sung by a guy with very limited range about such compelling subjects as New Jersey, New York, stars in the sky, "you girl"...bleh. Two hours of standing, swaying and pushing led to the excitement of main act.

My Chemical Romance ("My Chem") is led by the very charismatic and somewhat androgynous Gerard Way (don't call him Gerry). The guy has a tremendous stage presence and a strong voice. They have a nice combination of (f)artiness, anger and danciness. A very professional and energetic show by the performers who provided lots of movement and a fun variety of sounds, beats and rhythms. A very good band. The crowd was sober, energetic and tightly packed. Moshing and crowd surfing ensued much to the horror of some of the younger kids and parents. As was the case at the doors, there was NO security evident near the stage or on the floor which certainly added to the Dangerous element of the show. Very exciting and nearly overwhelming to my 14-year-old and to her old man. I hung tough through the lame opening acts and an hour of My Chem before heat, age, and dehydration forced me to head for some fresh air.

With this album and this tour I think My Chemical Romance belongs in an arena or shed, which I expect is the direction this tour will head by summer. In the meantime, they have several months in clubs where my daughter and I will see them in Boston this May. These shows should be dangerous and fun like rock should be.


Handel and Hayden Society's "Messiah", Boston Symphony Hall, December 4
I took my wife to see some highbrow Jesus music because it's that time of year. Messiah was written in the middle of the 18th Century and has been performed in Boston annually for 157 years. There is no new album out by Handel and his sexual energy is somewhat lost in the current performances of his art because of the fact that he is dead. There probably wasn't a great deal a sexual energy in the original performances because the artistic concept is selected biblical verses about Jesus Christ laid down to choral, string and some horn arrangements.

This was a new experience for me, and as a rocker I was not aware that buying tickets close to the stage is considered a bit gauche. Sitting close is not conducive to hearing the proper mix of orchestration as intended by the composer and maestro. So, we were seated in the 2nd row center stage. I could look up the noses of the soloists and hear the screw hit the floor when it popped off the first violinist's bow. I could not see the faces of the chorus or get a clear view of the tympanist as he thundered through the singing angel aria.

Handel's melodies, counter melody, harmony, soft, loud, dramatic pacing all while pounding biblical phrases into the ground provided me with some chills and joy. Gorgeous music was performed with haughty attitude by some (Sumner Thompson the bass vocalist) and joy (Sophie Bevan the soprano) and all with professional perfectionism.

1 comment:

Muganoot Mommy said...

He was totally crushing on the soprano.